I always struggled making thick and fluffy pancakes that were delicious and nutritious. Until I found this recipe from Tess Begg. Carob is a great substitute for chocolate and significantly lower in fat.
makes: 6-8 pancakes
prep time: 5 min
cook time: 10 min
total time: 15 min
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon of ground flax meal with 2 tablespoons of water) or 1 egg if you opt for vegetarian
- 1/2 cup or 60 grams of buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup or 60 grams of oatmeal flour or ground oats
- 2 tbsp of carob powder
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 cup or 250 ml of almond milk
- 1 banana, mashed
- Top with your favourite fruits
- I added some chocolate hazelnut butter from Loving Earth to make this a real treat!
Add some vegan protein if you want to add more protein to these pancakes.
Prepare the flax egg and let this sit while you add all the other ingredients to a bowl.
Mix all the dry ingredients and stir well. Add all the wet ingredients and the flax egg.
Heat a pan on medium-low and add a splash of water or coconut oil.
Add 1-2 tablespoons of mixture to the pan until it forms a round shape. After a couple of minutes, when the bubbles appear, flip the pancake and bake for another 2 minutes.
Top with all your favourite fruits like berries, banana, pineapple, apple, fig, dates or anything you’d like!