I haven’t made burgers in a while. I wanted to re-invent my Beet Steak Burgers so I’ve created these babies. Served with a tropical chutney, onion slices, my secret sauce and fresh cos lettuce you cannot go wrong!
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp garlic powder or 1 clove of fresh garlic
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 2 tsp chili paste
- ½ cup of flour (plain, oat, buckwheat)
- To serve:
- Tropical Chutney
- Burger buns
- Cos lettuce
- Secret Sauce:
- 3 tbsp vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tbsp whiskey or rum
- Step 1 Mix all the ingredients except the flour in a food processor.
- Step 2 Add the mixture to a mixing bowl and add the flour. Now knead and make the mixture into patties. Add more flour if the mixture is too wet.
- Step 3 Heat a cast iron pan and bake the burger patties for about 4-5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Leave them for 1-2 minutes on each side on low heat to warm up a bit more.
- Step 4 In the meanwhile, whisk up the secret sauce and grill your buns. Assemble your burgers by using a tropical chutney as base (mine is store-bought but you can also make one yourself, I will add a recipe soon). Add the lettuce, patty and onion, and add some of my secret sauce.
- Step 5 Enjoy!
- Step 6 PS my chutney contained the following ingredients: tomato, pineapple, red capsicum, carrot, brown vinegar, white sugar, cranberries, ginger, gluten free cornflour, mountain pepper, bush tomato, spices and salt.