We love tortillas and Mexican food. One of the reasons why I love to whip up these dishes is because they are so simple, quick & easy. However, I don’t really like the taste (and smell!) of store-bought tortillas. So I decided to make some myself, and guess what, it’s SO easy. As an added bonus, these are gluten- and corn free.
- For the tortillas
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp melted ghee or coconut oil
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp coconut flour (or buckwheat flour)
- Pinch sea salt
- For the filling:
- Mixed beans such as black beans & kidney beans
- Grated carrot
- Corn kernels
- To serve:
- (vegan) sour cream
- Step 1 Start with the tortillas. Whisk the eggs with coconut oil and water. Add the dried ingredients and mix well.
- Step 2 In a small frying pan over medium heat, pour a small soup spoon of batter and immediately roll it around to evenly coat the bottom. The tortilla should start to pull away from the edges as it cooks.
- Step 3 Cook for 1 minute on each side.
- Step 4 Continue until the batter is finished.
- Step 5 Keep the tortillas warm in an oven.
- Step 6 In the meanwhile, make your filling by adding all the ingredients to a bowl. Mix and add some lime juice if desired.
- Step 7 Serve with sour cream and salsa.