This meat-y eggplant gyros is quick & easy to make. You won’t even notice you’re not eating meat! The traditional Greek flavours are amazing. Serve with my white bean dip or vegan tzaziki. OMG I am getting hungry again – these are a MUST try!
- 2 large eggplants, cubed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp dukka za'atar (or sub for 1 tbsp ground cumin and 1 tbsp dried thyme)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
- 4 pita breads or flat breads
- Step 1 Dice the eggplant and add to a bowl to cover with some olive oil, dukka za’atar and oregano.
- Step 2 Warm up 1 or 2 large frying pans (I needed 2) and add the diced eggplant to it. It will shrink but it’s best not to add too much eggplant to 1 pan to make sure it’s getting cooked quicker.
- Step 3 Cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes until tender.
- Step 4 Combine the sliced onion and vinegar in a bowl. Let sit while you cook the eggplant and make dip in the meanwhile.
- Step 5 Make the gyros: add dip to flat bread and add the drained onions, cucumber, tomato, and cooked eggplant. Serve wrapped in foil and enjoy!