After all my delicious burgers you didn’t think I have no creativity left, do you? This one is inspired by my Dutch roots (wink wink). I have incorporated hemp seeds, now that they are finally legal in Australia to consume. NO they do not make you ‘high’ and are a source of awesome nutrition. The seeds are high in GLA, an essential omega-6 fatty acid that’s been proven to naturally balance hormones and they are also a great source of omega-3. They are also the “perfect protein” not only containing all 20 amino acids, but also each of the nine essential amino acids that our bodies cannot produce. 2 tablespoons of these seeds contain a whopping 9.2 grams of protein but also fiber, manganese, vitamin E, magnesium, zinc, iron and copper. (Source: Dr Axe)
All the more reason to add this to the burger along with some tasty seaweed for EXTRA nutrition. And no, this burger won’t taste fishy at all.
Per serve on gluten free charcoal roll: 522 kcal // 29g protein • 72g carbs • 15g fats
Per serve without roll: 291 kcal // 23g protein • 27g carbs • 13g fats
- 300g tempeh
- 1 can of red kidney beans, mashed
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp worcester sauce
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 3 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp kelp flakes
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 3 tbsp capers
- red onion, sliced into rings
- pickled cucumber
- rocket salad
- burger buns
- Step 1 Drain and rinse the beans and mash them with your hands or a potato masher in a bowl. Crumble the tempeh in the bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Mix all together with your hands and form them into 3 burger patties.
- Step 2 Heat a stir fry over medium heat with a splash of oil or water. Add the burgers and fry over medium heat for 4 minutes on each side.
- Step 3 In the meanwhile grill your burger buns in the oven or a bread toaster and mix your sauce together.
- Step 4 Add a spoonful of the sauce on the top of the burger bun and add your rocket salad and pickled cucumber to the bottom. Now add your burger patty and top with some red onion slices.