This traditional Persian dish has been veganised by replacing chicken with chickpeas. Whilst I was cooking, I just loved the smell of the developing flavours. Walnut, pomegranate and cinnamon is an awesome combo. Try for yourself!
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C. Add the walnuts to a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Step 2 In the meanwhile, chop the onion and rinse the chickpeas. Cook the rice if using.
- Step 3 Heat an extra-large skillet or pot over medium heat and add the olive oil and onion. Season with a pinch each of salt and pepper and stir. Cook for 4 minutes..
- Step 4 Once the walnuts are ready, let them cool and add a food processor to pulse into a fine meal.
- Step 5 Add the walnut meal, chickpeas, broth, pomegranate molasses,maple syrup, turmeric, cinnamon, salt, pepper, and nutmeg to the pot. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and continue simmering for 10–15 minutes, or until thick and fragrant. Stir occasionally.
- Step 6 Serve fesenjan over cooked rice and garnish with pomegranate seeds and parsley, and some yummy naan bread.