This pasta proves once again that vegan food doesn’t have to be fake, tasteless or boring. It’s the perfect combination of creamy, crispy and tasty. Serve with crispy facon for extra flavour (yes, that is fake bacon!). Don’t forget to share your creations with @VeganishRecipes.
- 1/2 butternut squash, cubed
- olive oil
- large handful of sage leaves, chopped
- 1 onion , diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp vegetable stock powder
- 6 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 250 ml (1 cup) hot water
- 1 packet of fettuccine or spaghetti
- 250 ml (1 cup) pasta water (reserved from cooking)
- To serve:
- shaved raw almonds
- nutritional yeast
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Step 2 Dice the pumpkin and cover with olive oil. Add to an oven plate with baking paper and bake for 30 min.
- Step 3 Add the sage leaves to a pan with some oil and move with a spatula until covered. Then transfer to a plate with a paper towel to drain.
- Step 4 Cook your pasta according to the instructions. Don’t forget to reserve the pasta water.
- Step 5 Add the onions to the pan you were using for the sage and add a splash of water to fry them for 3-4 min. Add the crushed garlic and fry for another minute or so. Then transfer this mixture to a blender.
- Step 6 Add the stock, nutritional yeast, tahini and hot water and blend until smooth. Remove the roasted squash from the oven and add to the blender. Pour in the cooking water a little at a time until the sauce is creamy.
- Step 7 Pour the sauce into the pot with pasta and mix. Add the sage too.
- Step 8 Serve with facon, shaved raw almonds and nutritional yeast.