This eggplant and tomato soup was a real hit. It’s super easy to make and delicious! The dollop of sour cream makes it vegetarian, but opt for a dairy-free yogurt to make this dish vegan!
makes: 4 BOWLS
prep time: 10 min
cook time: 25 min
total time: 35 min
- 1 medium-size eggplant, diced into cubes
- 5 large tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for minimum of 4 hours or overnight
- 350-400 ml of vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
Adding other vegies like capsicum or zucchini is also delicious!
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Divide the eggplant, tomatoes, onion, and garlic among a baking sheet then pour half of the olive oil on each and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Make sure they are evenly coated in oil. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
Once the vegetables have cooled down, transfer them to a blender. Drain the cashews then add them to the blender as well along with the vegetable broth, tamari and herbs. Blend on high until smooth.
Reheat the soup on the stove top or in the microwave before serving. Garnish with chopped cashews and fresh herbs and enjoy!
Recipe from Making Thyme For Health