Oops, I did it again! Creating burgers is still one of my favourite things to do. For this recipe, I used quinoa, beans and even aquafaba – which is simply the liquid from drained canned chickpeas. Nothing more, nothing less. Don’t chuck away the chickpeas but use them for my Caesar salad, falafels or hummus. Winning!
I turned the mixture into small patties for little sliders, which are perfect for serving at a party or with some chips and/or salad on the side. You can also opt to add some (vegan) cheese slices. I have made half the batch with my beetroot hummus, and the other half with a pre-made burger chutney. The chutney was the absolute winner! I will try making my own chutney soon and add the recipe here. I also topped the sliders with my homemade pickled onions – which can be made within 5 minutes and ready within 30 min! Better get crackin’…
PS: this recipe made about 24 patties. You can obviously halve or even quarter the amounts to serve less – or just make the big batch and pop them in the freezer like I did. This will make my Christmas prep so much easier!
- 1 cup (185g) quinoa, cooked (about half a cup uncooked)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 2 aquafaba eggs (6 tbsp liquid from drained chickpeas)
- 1 cup (75g) mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 4 tbsp liquid aminos (soy/tamari)
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke (optional)
- 1 tsp of pepper, salt and cumin
- 2 tsp of coriander and smoked paprika
- 1/2-1 cup (65-130g) gluten free oats or almond flour
- To serve:
- hummus or relish
- pickled onion
- rocket salad
- Step 1 Cook your quinoa if you haven’t done this yet.
- Step 2 Caramelise your onion for about 5 minutes in a frying pan.
- Step 3 Transfer the beans to a large bowl and mash with a potato masher (or use your food processor).
- Step 4 Now add all the other ingredients for the patties to the bowl and mix with your (clean) hands.
- Step 5 Form into small patties and refrigerate for 1h or overnight. Alternatively, freeze for about 15-20 minutes and cook them, or freeze them altogether for a later time.
- Step 6 When ready to make, thaw them first (if frozen for longer than 15 minutes) and heat a large frying pan over medium heat with some oil. Bake on each side for about 4-5 minutes until golden.
- Step 7 Now finish off with your buns, relish, pickled onion, rocket salad, or whatever you want!