I am starting off 2018 with a simple recipe for a pizzetta – which is simply a pizza on a pita bread! I know I can devour a pizza by myself, so opting for a smaller (round) pita bread and top it with your favourite toppings is the easiest way to maintain portion control! I have a combi oven with a pizza setting, so I popped this pizzetta in there for 8-9 min and that’s it. You can have this dish ready within 15 min! How great is that.
- 1 pita bread (wholemeal or gluten-free if desired)
- Tomato paste or sauce
- (Vegan) Cheese - I've used YAY! Marinated Feta and vegan parmasan, and ricotta and pecorino for my BF's pizzetta
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- Pitted kalimata olives
- Pine nuts
- Nutritional yeast
- Fresh basil
- Any other favourite toppings
- Step 1 Pre-heat your oven to fan/grill if using the oven. I used our combi microwave which is quicker/easier.
- Step 2 Spread about 2-3 tbsp of your tomato sauce of choice on the pita bread., followed by your cheese of choice. I’ve used YAY! marinated feta for my pizzetta, and plain ricotta for my boyfriend’s pizzetta. In hindsight, my BF preferred my pizzetta over his! WINNING!
- Step 3 Add other toppings, such as olives, capers, cherry tomatoes, onion and pine nuts.
- Step 4 Bake in the oven or combi microwave for approx. 10 min. Make sure the base aka pita bread does not burn.
- Step 5 Take out of the oven and top with fresh basil leaves and your favourite (vegan) Parmasan cheese and/or nutritional yeast!