We have been making these quasadillas forever. It’s one of my favourite recipes! It’s so easy and they are delicious. My “Big Mac Chickpea sandwich” friend was over for dinner one night and he was unsure about if he’d wanted to stay and eat vegan quasadillas or not. But he loved them! And you will too. Serve with some vegan tzaziki and guacamole.
Based on a recipe by Cookie and Kate.
- Per quesadilla
- 1 whole grain tortilla
- 2 handfuls of shredded (vegan) cheese
- ¼ cup cooked chickpeas, well drained and mashed with a potato masher or fork
- 4 cherry tomatoes, sliced into thin rounds
- 2 tbsp sliced kalimata olives (or capers, or feta)
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- some olive oil, for brushing
- Step 1 Make the quesadilla one at a time: heat a large frying pan over medium to high heat. Warm one tortilla for about 30 seconds, flipping halfway. Flip once more, and sprinkle one-half of the tortilla with 1 handful of shredded cheese. Cover the cheese with chickpeas, tomatoes, olives, and red onion. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the other fillings and fold over the empty side of the tortilla to close the tortilla.
- Step 2 Brush or spray some olive oil over the top and flip the tortilla. Let the underside of the quesadilla cook until golden and crispy, about a minute or two. Brush the topside with some olive oil, flip it and cook until the underside is golden and crispy.
- Step 3 Let the quesadilla cool a bit, then slice it into halves. Serve immediately, with a side vegan tzaziki and guacamole.