I have been looking for great, nutritious and high-protein vegan ‘meatballs’ for a while now. Falafels are a great option, but these balls really are perfect for a sandwich or pasta. My boyfriend even went for seconds!
makes: 35 ‘meatballs’
prep time: 10 min
cook time: 50 min
total time: 1 hour
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, diced
- 450g button mushrooms, cleaned with dry towel and chopped finely in a food processor
- 1 tablespoon salt, oregano, black pepper, chili flakes
- 600g of white beans, drained and rinsed and chopped finely in a food processor
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 150g of bread crumbs, plus some extra for rolling the balls
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius and line a baking sheet with baking paper. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add a splash of water and cook the chopped onion and garlic for 3-5 minutes. Then add the mushrooms and herbs and cook for another 5 minutes. Now add the beans with the lemon juice and turn off the heat while letting it simmer in the hot skillet.
Add the breadcrumbs and parsley to a large bowl and add the mixture to this. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
Meanwhile add some bread crumbs, salt, pepper, chili flakes, and oregano to a bowl. Take a 1 tbs scoops of the ‘meatball’ mixture and roll it into a ball in your hands. Roll it around in the bowl of seasoned bread crumbs and place it on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until there is no ‘meatball’ mixture remaining.
Bake the ‘meatballs’ for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes flip them for even browning and continue to bake for another 20 minutes.