Ehm, can we talk about HOW GOOD THIS BURGER IS! Yes, I have made many burgers before, but this is almost next level shit! I have never used actual tofu as a patty, but it’s very delicious and yes it actually tastes like fish due to the nori sheet (seaweed). I served them on a gluten-free charcoal bun, but you can obviously use any burger bun you like.
Recipe by Avant Garde Vegan.
- 1 Firm Block Tofu, drained & cut into 4 steaks
- 2 nori Sheets
- 4 tbsp flour
- tempura batter mix
- 1 cup/50g panko bread crumbs
- Tartare Sauce
- 1 cup/250g Vegan Mayo
- 3 tbsp Capers, drained & roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp Gherkins, drained & roughly chopped
- 1 small Shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tbs Fresh Lemon Juice
- 3 tbs Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Pinch Sea Salt & Pepper
- Burger Buns
- Cucumber slices
- Lemon Zest
- Step 1 Preheat your oven to 190 degrees (or use your air-fryer).
- Step 2 Start by slicing your tofu into 4 thinner pieces. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Step 3 Now cut the nori sheet so it will fit on each patty and squeeze some lemon over it so the sheet will stick.
- Step 4 Prep three bowls with the flour, batter and bread crumbs. Now coat your patty in the flour and transfer to the batter, followed by the bread crumbs. Make sure the patty is covered in bread crumbs for a very crispy end result.
- Step 5 Repeat until every patty is ready and transfer them to a baking tray into the oven.
- Step 6 In the meanwhile, make the tartare sauce by combining all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Step 7 Prep your garnishes.
- Step 8 With 5 minutes to go, turn your oven to grill and add the burger patties and grill them on both sides for 2 minutes. Grill the tofish at the same time too, for a crispier result.
- Step 9 Now assemble the burger. Add some ketchup and watercress, followed by the patty, cucumber slices, dill and lemon zest. Add the tartare sauce to the top side of the patty.
- Step 10 Serve & enjoy!