OMG if I knew making Walnut Mince was so easy, I would have made these tacos ages ago. They were ready in 123 and so delicious! If you’re looking to switch up your taco game, here’s the perfect recipe! Tip: make a double batch and use the leftovers for a taco salad for tomorrow’s lunch!
- For the mince:
- 1 cup (125g) walnuts, soaked for 2-8 hours (optional)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tbsp of soy sauce (low salt preferred)
- 1/2 tbsp of (walnut) oil
- 1/4 cup (30g) buckwheat flour, or whole wheat flour
- cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
- For the sour cream:
- 1 pack (300g) silken tofu
- 1 tbsp vinegar, like red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- juice of 1 lemon
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- For the salsa:
- 1/2 can of corn kernels, rinsed and dried
- 1/2 can of black beans, rinsed and dried
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- handful of coriander or parsley, chopped
- lime juice, salt & pepper to taste
- For the tacos:
- 10 taco shells or wraps
- shredded ice berg lettuce
- avocado, smashed or diced
- coriander or spring onion (optional)
- Step 1 Start by making the walnut mince. Add all the walnuts to a food processor and pulse it resembles mince.
- Step 2 Add all the other ingredients for the mince to a bowl and stir to combine.
- Step 3 Now add all the ingredients for the vegan sour cream to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. You can omit this if you’re vegetarian and using store bought sour cream.
- Step 4 Add all the ingredients for the salsa in a large bowl and mix.
- Step 5 Smash or dice the avocado and add some salt & pepper to taste.
- Step 6 Heat up your tacos or wraps in the oven, grill or microwave one by one.
- Step 7 Layer the taco by adding the shredded lettuce first, followed by the walnut mince and top with the smashed avocado and salsa. Drizzle with sour cream.
- Step 8 Tip: double the batch of mince, salsa and smashed avo and turn this dish into a salad for lunch!