I mean, what’s not to love about hummus? A great way to switch it up is by adding different ingredients to make funky-coloured hummus. Use as a spread on bagels or bread with some crispy (air) fried tofu and you’ve got a delicious lunch!
- For the tofu:
- 300g hard tofu
- 6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sambal oelek (spicy chili sauce)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- For the hummus:
- 2 cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed, divided into 6 bowls
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- dried thyme
- 40g beetroot or 1 tsp pink pitaya powder
- 50g cherry tomatoes
- 40g sweet potato, steamed in your microwave for 2-3 min
- 50g yellow capsicum
- 50g green capsicum
- 1 tsp butterfly pea powder or blue matcha or spirulina powder
- If you don't have any of these powders, use 40g red onion
- Step 1 Start by adding all the ingredients for the marinated tofu into a bowl. Slice your tofu into thin slices and add to the marinade. Let it sit for 10 minutes or longer, preferably a couple of hours.
- Step 2 Start prepping your hummus ingredients.
- Step 3 Now add the tofu to your air fryer or grill pan for 10 minutes, turning once or twice.
- Step 4 To make the hummus, add 1/6 of the chickpeas to your food processor or blender, add 2 tbsp olive oil, some salt, pepper and dried thyme and add beetroot or pitaya powder for pink, cherry tomatoes for red, steamed sweet potato for orange, yellow capsicum for yellow, green capsicum for green and butterfly pea powder/blue matcha/blue spirulina for blue. If you don’t have these powders, then make a purple hummus by adding (roast) red onion.
- Step 5 Assemble on bagels with the crispy tofu and enjoy!