Whooop! Finally I dared to dive into the Ethiopian kitchen. There’s this amazing Ethiopian restaurant in Flemington (Melbourne) called Abyssinian, and we have had Ethiopian in Amsterdam as well. We really love the flavours and style of this African kitchen, so here you go! A mouthful, but amazing dish with great, earthy flavours: mesir wot (lentils in garlic-ginger sauce) with air-fried berbere-spiced Brussel sprouts, awaze tofu and teff porridge. Better get to work!
Find all my other Buddha Bowls here.
- For the mesir wot:
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cloves garlic, grated
- thumb-sized grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup reserved lentil cooking water
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded, veined, and quartered lengthwise
- For the brussel sprouts:
- 10-12 sprouts, cut in halve
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp warm water
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp berbere (Ethiopian spice, you can Google it and make this yourself by mixing a lot of spices together like I did)
- For the awaze tofu:
- 300 g hard tofu
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 teaspoons berbere
- For the teff porridge:
- 1 cup of teff grain
- 3 cups of water
- 1 tbsp berbere
- Step 1 Start of by making the berbere spices if you cannot find this in-store. Google to find the recipe.
- Step 2 Take out your air fryer. Fry the diced tofu for 5 min in the air fryer.
- Step 3 In the meanwhile, cook the lentils in 3 cups of water for 8 minutes. When you drain them, make sure to reserve 1 cup of water.
- Step 4 Prepare your sprouts by mixing them with the tahini, water, salt and berbere. Take the tofu out the air fryer and add your sprouts to the air fryer for 10-15 min until crisp.
- Step 5 Add the olive oil, onions, garlic, ginger, turmeric, and cardamom and cook in a pot, stirring almost constantly, for 3 minutes. Stir in the drained lentils, the reserved lentil cooking water, and the jalapenos. Cover and let this simmer for about 15 minutes until the water has evaporated. Stir occasionally.
- Step 6 Now add the 2 chopped onions, garlic, and berbere the a large frying pan. Add a bit of water, about 1/8 of a cup, and mix. Now add your fried tofu and cover with the mixture. Let this sit on low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 5-10 minutes.
- Step 7 Now add your teff grains with the water and berbere into another pot, and bring this to a boil. Cook for about 10-12 minutes until it turned into a porridge. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Step 8 Take the sprouts out of the air fryer, and serve with the lentils, teff porridge and awaze tofu.