Another delicious and nutritious bowl this week! I am not one who actually LOVES the Vietnamese kitchen – I just can’t get over the coriander that is used in every dish. So when I made this bowl, I’ve left the coriander out. Obviously, feel free to add if you are a coriander lover! My fave part of this bowl are the quick-pickled carrots. Simply delish!
For all my lunch bowls, check out the link here.
- For the quinoa balls:
- 1 cup of uncooked quinoa
- thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger
- ½ red onion
- 1 clove or garlic
- ¼ cup of ground almonds or plain flour
- 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds + 3 tablespoons of water
- 1 teaspoon of sambal oelek or ½ teaspoon of chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- a pinch of black pepper
- For the pickled carrots:
- 2 carrots
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup or coconut sugar
- 6 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- a pinch of salt
- For the banh mi bowl:
- 50g of rice noodles
- two handful of rocket or green leaves of your choice
- ½ cucumber
- ½ cup of pickled carrots (see above)
- ¼ of a red cabbage, chopped or use sauer kraut
- 1 avocado
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of sambal oelek
- ½ lemon
- sea salt and back pepper to season
- Step 1 Pre heat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Step 2 Spiralise the carrots and add to an air tight glass jar with the other ingredients. Let this sit for 30-60 minutes.
- Step 3 Cook the quinoa according to the package instructions. Mix the flax seeds and water in a bowl and let this thicken.
- Step 4 Add all the ingredients for the quinoa balls to a food processor and blend until smooth. Add the flax egg and blend. Mix through the quinoa once cooked. Form into little balls.
- Step 5 Place the balls on a baking sheet aligned with baking paper and bake them for about 35 – 40 minutes.
- Step 6 Cook the rice noodles as described on the package.
- Step 7 Wash all the salad ingredients and divide into two bowls.
- Step 8 Make the dressing by adding all the ingredients into a blender or food processor.
- Step 9 Add the cooked rice noodles to the salad and drizzle over the dressing.
- Step 10 Once the quinoa balls are ready, add to the bowl and serve warm or cold.