We just looove Mexican food, and this burrito bowl is the perfect weeknight dish that can be made within 20 minutes! I use precooked rice, because then I don’t have to worry about cooking the rice for 30-40 min. This dish can be eaten warm or cold, so perfect for summer or winter, lunch or dinner. Ay caramba!
Burrito Fiesta Bowl
- Microwavable brown rice (serves 4)
- 1 bunch of kale, chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 hot chili, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin and salt
- 2 small avocados, pitted and smashed
- 1/2 cup mild salsa
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder and cumin
- Punnet of cherry tomatoes, halved
- Salsa sauce
- Step 1 Chop the shallot and garlic. Add a medium-sized pot over low-medium heat with a bottom of water and fry the shallot and garlic for 2-3 minutes.
- Step 2 Rinse the black beans and add to the pot. Cook for about 5-7 minutes until warm, and stir occasionally. If the beans seem dry, add a splash of water.
- Step 3 In the meanwhile, chop and wash the kale. Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, chopped chili, cumin and salt. Toss the chopped kale with the lime marinade in a mixing bowl. You can steam the kale before mixing it if you desire.
- Step 4 Make the guacamole: mash the avocados and mix with salsa, lime juice and some optional coriander.
- Step 5 Heat the rice in the microwave as advised on the packet.
- Step 6 To serve, spoon generous portions of rice, beans and kale salad into a bowl along with a spoonful of guacamole. Garnish with chopped cherry tomatoes and salsa sauce.