I wanted to prep some sandwiches for lunch, so I thought about this little beauty. We had heaps of basil in the garden that I needed to use before it would go to seed, so I made that into a delicious pesto. Pesto + vegies + (vegan) cheese = the best combo!
- For the sandwich:
- 1 focaccia bread, sliced in 4 even pieces (or use any other bread)
- 1 small bag of baby spinach
- 1 jar of artichokes
- 1 jar of grilled capscium
- (vegan) mozerella
- For the pesto:
- 2 large handful of basil leaves (or sub 1 handful for spinach or rocket leaves)
- 1/2 cup of pine nuts
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast or parmasan cheese
- 2 tbsp (vegan) mayo
- Step 1 Start by adding the basil, garlic and nutritional yeast (or parmasan cheese) into a food processor and process until chopped finely. Now add the olive oil whilst the machine is on and process until smooth. Once done, transfer to a bowl and add two tablespoons of vegan mayo (optional).
- Step 2 Now assemble the sandwich. Take a piece of the focaccia bread and halve it. Spread the pesto on both sides and add the baby spinach to the bottom piece.
- Step 3 Top with the artichoke, capsicum and mozerella.
- Step 4 Even better when grilled for 4-5 min!