We love dahl. This tasty Indian stew is great with some chapati or pita bread and vegies. But this recipe from my Dutch twin Rens Kroes turned the dahl into soup. Which is even easier, quicker & still very delicious.
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Coconut oil, to bake
- 1.5L Vegetable broth (or powder + water)
- 180 grams of red split lentils
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 sprigs of spring onion
- 3 medium carrots
- ½ tsp of ginger powder
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- ½ tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 piece of cayenne pepper
- Step 1 Chop the onion and garlic. Fry them in a large pot with some coconut oil for a minute or two.
- Step 2 Add all the spices and mix. Now add 1.5 litres of water and add vegetable broth powder. Turn to medium heat.
- Step 3 Rinse the lentils and add to the pot. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Step 4 Grate one sweet potato and add to the pot.
- Step 5 Cube the other sweet potato and the carrots. Add to the pot with some chopped spring onion.
- Step 6 Cook this all for 15 minutes.
- Step 7 After 15 minutes. leave the soup for another 10 minutes or so before serving with some extra spring onion (and some chapati on the side!)