YAS! I have mastered the art of NATURAL food colouring – so no use of anything artificial. Seriously, if I would have known it’s this easy then my blog would have been full of coloured meals by now. So just brace yourselves, because rainbow & unicorn dishes are coming… To read more about how to colour your pasta, noodles and rice check out this page here. Now, onto the recipe for this Mermaid Pad Thai.
Mermaid Pad Thai
- 1/4 red cabbage, chopped into small pieces
- 1 packet of rice noodles
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 lemons, juiced
- 1/2 head of (purple) cauliflower, chopped into small florets
- 4 big handfuls of spinach leaves
- 1 punnet of cherry tomatoes, sliced in halves
- 1 packet of Upton's Naturals Chili Lime Carnitas Jackfruit, or buy canned jackfruit at your Asian grocery store and marinate with chili, lime, honey & soy
- 2 handfuls of peanuts
- For the sauce:
- 3 tbsp ketjap manis
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp sambal oelek
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Step 1 Start with adding about 4 cups of water in 2 pots over high heat. Add 1/2 of the chopped red cabbage in each pot and boil for about 5 minutes until the water has a purple colour.
- Step 2 Take out the cabbage and discard. Turn your heat to low and add 1 tsp of baking soda to 1 pot, which will turn the water BLUE! How amazing is this science. Now add half of the noodles to one pot, and the other half to the other pot. Cook on low heat for about 7-10 minutes, until the noodles have absorbed the colours.
- Step 3 In the meanwhile, cook your jackfruit on low-medium heat in a fry pan.
- Step 4 Chop the cauliflower and steam for 5 minutes. I used a steamer on top of my rice noodles, but you can also use a microwave steamer or bamboo steamer.
- Step 5 Chop the cherry tomatoes.
- Step 6 Prepare the sauce.
- Step 7 Add a handful of spinach to a plate and add the cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, jackfruit and peanuts.
- Step 8 Now drain the noodles and divide them over the 4 plates. You’ll have greenish/blue noodles and purple ones. To change the colours, simply add some lemon or lime juice over them and they will change bright pink! The more juice you’ll add, the brighter pink they’ll get.
- Step 9 Serve with the sauce and enjoy!