This is one of those meals that are so easy to prepare and make a great dish for foodprepping! The quinoa is a whole nutrient by itself and has lot’s of protein, but these little smoked tofu steaks were actually the bomb. I found these at Wholefoods in Melbourne, they are bio-dynamic & organic, so no nasty GMO soy beans used here, and they are just a protein bomb! Almost no carbs too (let alone sugar) so this is a great win. They are also very affordable (about $6 for a packet). The smoked flavour is an absolute plus, because this gives it more of a meat-y taste then your standard firm tofu.
But hey, feel free to use any tofu or tempeh you prefer!
Per serve: 400 kcal // 28g protein • 35g carbs • 13g fats
- 2 blocks of smoked tofu (or any tofu/tempeh of your choice)
- 1 cup of peri peri sauce (I used Nando's Medium peri peri sauce)
- 400g cooked quinoa (or 2 packets of microwavable quinoa)
- lest and juice of 2 limes
- 1 tbsp of oil (I used walnut oil for a nuttier taste)
- Handful of parsley, thyme and basil
- 2 handfuls of red cabbage, kale/spinach, rocket and pea shoots
- 1 punnet of cherry tomatoes
- Optional: edible flower leaves
- Step 1 Cook the quinoa, or heat up the microwavable quinoa.
- Step 2 Cut the tofu into strips and marinate them in the peri peri sauce while prepping the salad.
- Step 3 Chop all the herbs and greens. Feel free to add anything you like, or leave some of your plate. I just used anything that was left over in my fridge!
- Step 4 Mix the vegies with the quinoa in a bowl and drizzle over the lime juice and zest. You can use lemon too. Again, I had limes leftover so this worked for me.
- Step 5 Add a little drizzle of any oil. I used walnut oil for a nuttier flavour, but olive oil will do just as well.
- Step 6 Mix the salad.
- Step 7 Heat a grill pan over medium/high heat and add some cooking spray. Now grill the pieces for 2-3 min on each side.
- Step 8 Transfer to the salad and serve. Keeps well in an air tight container in the fridge, so this is great for the meal preppers out there.