This dish is very beet-y indeed. But beetroot is so good for you! They are a great source of iron and folate (so very beneficial for fertile or preggo ladies) plus they are very rich in vitamin C, fiber and essential minerals like potassium and manganese. Beets are also valued for their support in detoxification and helping to purify your blood and liver. All the more reason to whip up this salad for dinner and/or lunch!
- For the beet balls:
- 1 can black beans, well rinsed and drained
- 1 small can of beetroot
- 600g tempeh, crumbled
- 1/2 large red onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (or sub extra cumin)
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 50g plain flour (or more if it's too moist)
- Fresh parsley
- Salt & pepper
- Panko bread crumbs to coat
- For the dressing:
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 4 medium garlic cloves
- small handful of fresh basil (or use 1 tbsp dried basil)
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- For the salad:
- 5 large beetroots, peeled and spiralised
- watercress or any favourite micro greens
- hemp seeds
- rocket salad
- Step 1 Pre heat your oven to 200 degrees and line a baking sheet with silicone mat or baking paper.
- Step 2 If you have an air fryer – take this out as I like to air fry my beet balls first and then place them in the oven. Optionally just fry them in a frying pan with some oil.
- Step 3 Add all the ingredients for the beet balls except the bread crumbs to a food processor and process until you get a smooth but not too moist consistency. If too moist, add more flour. If you don’t have a food processor, simply use a potato masher or fork and mix well.
- Step 4 Create little balls and add them to the air fryer for approx. 10 minutes or to a hot frying pan with oil and fry for about 5 min until golden all-over.
- Step 5 Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Step 6 In the meanwhile, peel and spiralise your beetroots. Assemble to plates with some micro greens, rocket or spinach, pepitas and hemp seeds (optional for extra protein).
- Step 7 Add all the ingredients for the dressing to a food processor or bowl and mix.
- Step 8 Drizzle over the salad and serve with the beet balls.