This dish will just amaze your taste buds. This vinaigrette and the salad are a perfect combo, great to have on it’s own (warm or cold) for lunch or dinner, or to make it into a filling dinner or lunch add the Jamaican jerk eggplant and serve with a side of rice.
makes: 4 servings
prep time: 20 min
cook time: 25 min
total time: 45 min
- 5-6 ears corn, in husk
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and towel-dried
- turmeric & smoked paprika powder
- salt & pepper
- 50g sun-dried tomatoes (soaked in hot water for 10 minutes or if you use the oil ones you can use them straight away)
- 200-250 ml hot water
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- fresh basil & parsley
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 80ml olive oil
- 2 tsp sweetener like maple syrup, coconut nectar, honey
- pinch of salt & pepper
- 3 small eggplants or 2 bigger ones
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp of all spice, cayenne pepper, salt & pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Fresh grated ginger
- Bunch of fresh thyme
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) tamari (or soy sauce)
- 2-3 Tbsp coconut sugar, coconut nectar, honey or maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp (30 g) melted coconut oil (or any other oil), plus more for grilling
- 1-2 tbsp of (vegan) barbecue sauce
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 thinly sliced habanero pepper, seeds removed
If using: rice, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees.
- If you are serving with rice, start cooking your rice.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper and spread the chickpeas. Sprinkle some turmeric and smoked paprika powder and (optionally) spray some olive oil over them. Bake for 25-30 min until crunchy while you prepare the rest.
- Soak the corn husks in cold water for 5 min – and if using sundried-tomato from a packet soak them in (boiling) hot water.
- Slice the zucchini and eggplant lengthwise.
- Mix all the ingredients for the Jamaican jerk eggplant in a bowl and add the eggplant slices to this bowl. Mix well until every slice is covered in sauce.
- Heat the grill on high and spray/brush some olive oil on it.
- Once the grill is hot, add corn (still in husk) and cover. Cook for 5-8 minutes, rotating to cook all sides, until all sides are lightly browned. Then carefully remove husk and place back on grill until golden brown on all sides – about 5-8 minutes.
- When the corn is almost ready, add zucchini to the grill and grill on each side for about 2-4 minutes, depending on how hot the grill is. Sprinkle some salt & pepper on it. Slice the zucchini in smaller pieces and add to a serving bowl. (If your grill isn’t big enough for both the corn and zucchini, simply take the corn off the grill and let it cool while grilling the zucchini).
- In the meanwhile, add all the ingredients for the dressing to a food processor. If you like this dressing runnier, add some more water. Save your leftover dressing in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge.
- Grill the eggplant about 4-5 min on each side.
- Cut corn off cob, then add to the serving bowl. Turn off the oven and take out the roasted chickpeas. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and more lime juice if desired.
- Serve the eggplant with the salad and (optional) rice.
- Don’t forget to save your leftovers for a delicious lunch!
Recipe is based on recipes from Minimalist Baker.