Everyone loves a good smashed avo sandwich, or some guacamole for taco night, or with some tortilla chips on the couch. serves: 1 bowl prep time: 5 min cook time: 5 min total time: 10 min INGREDIENTS: 1-2 large ripe avocado(s) juice and zest from 1 lime 1 tsp […]
I love this pesto on a grilled sandwich, in a pasta or add it to a soup… with some tomato and mozerella, grilled zucchini and capsicum… be creative! makes: 1 jar prep time: 5 min cook time: 5 min total time: 10 min INGREDIENTS: 1 head broccoli 1 large bunch […]
Who doesn’t love pizza? It’s so easy to just make a vegetarian (or even vegan) pizza. This is one of our weekly guilty pleasures…
We buy the homemade bases from an Italian deli, but you can easily make them yourself, or just buy them at your local supermarket.
makes: 1 pizza
prep time: 5 min
cook time: 10 min
total time: 15 min
- 1 pizza base
- tomato passata
- shredded (vegan) cheese
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 red onion
- black pitted olives
- 1/4 red capsicum
- rocket salad
- Other add on ideas… nutritional yeast, zucchini, pine nuts, ricotta, spinach
Our microwave has a pizza option, which is simply fantastic. But you can use your oven – just preheat to 220 degrees Celcius.
Slice up all the vegies.
Take the pizza base and add about 5 tablespoons of passata. Divide over the pizza base, but leave about 3-4 cm around the edges.
Sprinkle some (vegan) shredded cheese and top with all the vegies, olives, capers and which ever other add ons you want to use.
Place the pizza in the microwave or oven for about 10-11 minutes until crisp.
I just love experimenting with different ingredients to see how we can substitute meat and up our protein intake, especially on a gym day. This dish is so easy to make and very high in protein and fiber! Obviously you can substitute this high protein […]
Again another hit in our household. This nourishing (vegan) chili is so easy to make, very cheap, and we always have leftovers to take for lunch! makes: 4-5 servings prep time: 10 min cook time: 40 min total time: 50 min INGREDIENTS: 1 onion, diced 3 garlic cloves, minced […]
Another perfect pre- or post workout snack, but also very loved as an afternoon kick!
makes: 1 cake and 1 jar of fig chia jam
prep time: 10
cook time: 60 min
total time: 70 min
For the bread:
- 125g pitted dates
- 200ml hot water
- 3 tsp Dutch speculaas herbs*
- 3 eggs (or replace with vegan ‘eggs’: 3 tbsp of flaxseed with 6 tbsp of water – let it sit for about 5 min before adding to the mixture)
- 100g pecan nuts
- 200g rye flour
- 100g rice flour
- 100ml rice milk (or any other non-diary milk)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- some coconut oil to grease the cake tin
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
For the fig chia jam:
- 6 fresh figs
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp lemon juice and 1 tbsp of lemon zest
* If you don’t have Dutch speculaas herbs, you can make them yourself (this makes more than you’ll need):
- 40 gr cinnamon
- 10 gr nutmeg
- 5 gr cloves
- 5 gr cardamom
- 5 gr white pepper
- 5 gr coriander seeds
- 5 gr ginger powder
- 5 gr aniseed seeds
- 5 gr garam masala
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celcius. Add the dates, hot water, speculaas herbs and eggs to a bowl and mix till you get a creamy texture.
- Use a mortar to ground up the pecan nuts. Add this to the bowl with the flour, milk and baking powder. Stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Grease the cake tin with some coconut oil and add the mixture to it. Sprinkle with some coconut sugar. Add in some left over nuts (optional).
- Put the cake in the preheated oven and bake for 60-70 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, add the figs to a food processor with the lemon juice and zest. Add them to a glass jar and add the chia seeds. Stir well.
- Let the cake cool for about 10 minutes before you take a slice and enjoy with the fig chia jam!
Recipe from Rens Kroes’ cook book: Power Food.
I have been making these delicious enchiladas even before we went veganish. We love Mexican food and these are just simply to die for! makes: 6-8 enchiladas prep time: 10 min cook time: 25 min total time: 35 min INGREDIENTS: Homemade red enchilada sauce (yields 2 cups sauce) 3 […]
Another perfect pre- or post workout snack, but also very loved as an afternoon kick! makes: 10 balls prep time: 5 min cook time: 5 min total time: 10 min INGREDIENTS: 100g grounded raw almonds 4 soaked dates 50g shredded coconut 5ml of coconut nectar, agave syrup or honey (vegetarian […]
Perfect pre-workout snack or to energise you on a sluggish afternoon…
makes: 10 balls
prep time: 5 min
cook time: 5 min
total time: 10 min
- 7 soaked dates
- 100g amaranth flakes
- 50g shredded coconut
- 5ml of coconut nectar, agave syrup or honey (vegetarian option)
- splash of water
- 2 big scoops of vegan protein powder
- pinch of ground nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger
- Shredded coconut
Remove the pits from the dates and put all ingredients in a food processor.
I have been looking for great, nutritious and high-protein vegan ‘meatballs’ for a while now. Falafels are a great option, but these balls really are perfect for a sandwich or pasta. My boyfriend even went for seconds! makes: 35 ‘meatballs’ prep time: 10 min cook time: 50 min total […]