Who knew pickling your vegies was so easy and so much fun. I made this big batch of pickled onions that are great for Buddha bowls, salads, tacos or burgers. You can pickle them within 30 minutes or so, or leave them for days/weeks in an air tight glass jar to use when desired!
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups rice vinegar, white vinegar, or apple cider vinegar
- Flavourings (optional):
- clove of garlic, halved
- coriander seeds or black peppercorns
- sprigs of thyme
- small dried jalapeno
- Step 1 Boil water in a kettle. Prepare the glass jar by pouring the hot water in the jar to sterilise. Carefully (!!) pour this out and leave to cool.
- Step 2 Boil more water. Slice the onions. Add the onions to a strainer and pour the boiled water over it to soften the onions. Leave to cool.
- Step 3 Add the vinegar to the glass jar and dissolve the sugar and salt. Add the flavourings if using (recommended).
- Step 4 Now add all the onions. Wash your hands before transferring them to the jar or use thongs.
- Step 5 Leave for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 month in a dark, cool place.