This simple pita bread it so easy to make yourself! I don’t like store-bought pita or naan bread, for some reason the smell of preservatives just don’t do anything for me. These ones are fresh and only require 5 ingredients that you probably already have stocked in your cup board. It’s an awesome side snack to serve with falafel or tzaziki.
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 42 g yeast
- 250 g all-purpose flour + 250 g flour of choice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Step 1 Add a bowl with warm water and melt the butter and sugar. Let it cool and dissolve the yeast.
- Step 2 Place the flour in a large mixing bowl and add salt and yeast mixture. Knead this for approx. 10 minutes until you have a firm dough (add more water or flour if necessary).
- Step 3 Take the dough out of the bowl, pour a little bit of oil into the bowl and put the dough back in so that it is covered with oil. Cover with a tablecloth and let it rise for 45 minutes at room temperature.
- Step 4 Preheat your oven to 250 degrees Celsius or discard if you are using a cast iron pan.
- Step 5 Divide the dough into 8 little balls and leave them separated on your kitchen bench. If they touch each other they will stick together. Cover with a tablecloth and let rise for another 20 – 30 minutes.
- Step 6 Roll out the balls until you have flat breads. Bake in the oven or a very hot cast iron pan for 5 minutes on each side.
- Step 7 Serve warm.