This YUMMY cake seriously has the right texture – gummy, moist and crumbly. And the best thing is, it’s gluten free, oil free and (of course) vegan. Plus, the carrots make it healthy, right? Add a homemade, tangy frosting et voila, you’ve got yourself a perfect little treat or dessert.
- 1 cup (250g) applesauce
- 2/3 cup (110g) coconut or brown sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla bean sugar or vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120g) plant mylk
- 1/3 cup (50g) starch (I used arrowroot starch)
- 2 1/2 cup (300g) oat flour (simply blend your rolled oats to a flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cup (180g) grated carrots
- 1/2 cup (60g) chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup (120g) raw cashews (soaked overnight or boiled for 1 hour)
- 1/3 cup (75g) nondairy yogurt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Step 2 Add all the wet ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisk together. Now add all the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Step 3 Fold in the grated carrots and nuts.
- Step 4 Transfer to a baking pan that has been lightly sprayed with oil.
- Step 5 Bake for approximately 30 minutes at 180C.
- Step 6 Remove from the oven and let it cool. Do not put the frosting on the cake until it’s completely cooled down.
- Step 7 Drain the cashews. Combine all the frosting ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until smooth and very creamy.
- Step 8 Spread onto the cooled cake and ideally refrigerate until the frosting is set (at least 2 hours).
- Step 9 Slice and enjoy!
- Step 10 You can keep the leftover in the fridge for 3 days.